Gazebo, Kitchen Arbor, and Dining Terrace
Armistead Peter 3rd, the last private owner of Tudor Place, constructed this Gazebo in the 1960s. He was influenced by his service in the South Pacific during World War II and later travels to Japan with his wife, Caroline Ogden-Jones Peter. They erected the Gazebo to entertain guests for lunch and cocktails. It also enhanced their annual Garden Party, a tradition continued every spring by the Tudor Place Foundation.
The nearby Kitchen Arbor structure seen today dates to the 1930s. It was rebuilt by Tudor Place’s third and fourth owners, Armistead Peter, Jr., and Armistead Peter 3rd. Severely damaged by Tropical Storm Isabel in 2003, it has since been stabilized and conserved. It is lined with Lady Banks roses, featuring a modest yellow bloom, and white lilacs.
The Dining Terrace, completed in 1967, was designed by Armistead Peter 3rd for outdoor entertaining. This area includes the oldest and largest pecan tree (Carya illinoensis) in the District of Columbia. It was planted in 1875 by Tudor Place’s second owner, Britannia Peter Kennon, and is believed to have been a gift from the family’s cook, Maggie Carraher.