Tudor Place

House

Since 1816, Tudor Place has overlooked Georgetown and the Potomac River, a grand residence whose design salutes the early American Republic.

One of America’s first National Historic Landmarks, it was built by a granddaughter of Martha Washington and a son of Robert Peter, a prominent Scottish-born merchant and landowner and Georgetown’s first mayor. With an inheritance from George Washington, Thomas and Martha Custis Peter purchased 8½ acres of farmland on Georgetown Heights. Dr. William Thornton, architect of the first U.S. Capitol and a family friend, designed the grand neoclassical house, which was completed in 1816. The estate remained under continuous Peter family ownership through six generations spanning 178 years, its rooms a destination for leading politicians, military leaders, and dignitaries. Following the death, in 1983, of Armistead Peter 3rd, the founders’ great-great-grandson, the site opened to the public as a museum in 1988 in accordance with his wishes. Now a historic house and garden museum, it remains one of the nation’s few historic urban estates retaining the majority of its original landscape. Viewable today by guided tours offered hourly, the house remains as the Peters lived in it, preserving spaces and belongings of many eras while adapting their home and landscape to contemporary fashion and functions.